The final unit, Health, Policy and Global Impacts, emphasizes health policies, and the impacts of policies and practices on the health of the planet. Students gain greater awareness of the ethical considerations in decision-making, and an understanding of how these decisions influence systems socially and physically. Three weeks are devoted to teaching this unit.
Learning How to Learn. Develop skills to identify studies and engage communities, critique methods and findings, and apply lessons from planning and public health research to current and future problems.
- Health Policy
- Sustainable Planning and Global Warming
- Healthy Housing
Books (select chapters)
- Frumkin H, Frank L, Jackson R. Urban sprawl and public health: designing, planning, and building for healthy communities. Washington DC: Island Press, 2004.
- Kawachi I, Berkman LF. Neighborhoods and health. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Morris M, Duncan R, Hannaford K, et al. Integrating planning and public health. Chicago: APA Planning Advisory Service, 2006.
- Frank LD, Greenwald MJ, Winkelman S, Chapman J, Kavage S. Carbonless footprints: Promoting health and climate stabilization through active transportation. Am J Prev Med 2010; 50:99-105. (**NEW ADDITION**)
- Geller A. Smart growth: a prescription for livable cities. Am J Public Health 2003;93(9):1410-5.
- Librett JJ, Yore MM, Schmid TL. Local ordinances that promote physical activity: a survey of municipal policies. Am J Public Health 2003;93(9):1399-403.
- McMichael AJ. The urban environment and health in a world of increasing globalization: issues for developing countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2000;78(9):1117-26.
- Saegert SC, Klitzman S, Freudenberg N, Cooperman-Mroczek J, Nassar S. Healthy housing: a structured review of published evaluations of U.S. interventions to improve health by modifying housing in the United States, 1990-2001. Am J Public Health 2003;93(9):1471-7.
- Younger M, Morrow-Almeida HR, Vindigni SM, Dannenberg AL. The built environment, climate change, and health: opportunities for co-benefits. Amer J Prev Med, in press, October 2008.
In- and Out-of-class Assignments
- Policy memos
- Photovoice report